Thursday, January 4, 2018

My feedsack quilt

This little quilt is on display in the feedsack quilt exhibit at the Iowa Quilt Museum.  It has a story:

My mother gave me a whole suitcase of feedsacks that she had been gifted from an older quilter friend. I have always been hesitant to cut into these precious sacks.

However, about 20 years ago, I was part of a small group that did a Round Robin project. We each made a quilt center and put it in a paper bag along with a selection of fabrics for the next person to use in any way they wanted to.

I made the yellow applique center of this quilt and included it in my bag with several of my feeedsacks. It was passed from one member to the next, each adding to the center, and this is the quilt top that came back to me.

I always really cherish quilts that include the work of many hands.

No comments: