Monday, February 2, 2015

Scrappy New Year projects

Update on our Scrappy New year projects:

If you are saving and stitching together 2 1/2" strips per our January 10 post, here's a tip:

Wait until you have a good assortment of color/prints before you start sewing together the sets of 4 strips. You can even go through your stash and cut small pieces up for more variety.  You don't have to use just width of fabric strips. Any piece that is at least 
2 1/2" x 8 1/2" will work for now.

I was recently working on a quilt using all Kansas Troubles prints. If I cut a 2 1/2" strip from each of those and sew them together, I won't get a good scrappy look. So, I am going to cut and save my strips for a bit until I have more variety.  Besides, you know the strips need to marinate for a while, right?

To be truly scrappy, once you have a nice variety of strips in your bag, reach in and pull one out. Reach in, without looking, and pull out another. No matter what they look like together, stitch them together. This is what will add the scrappy beauty to your quilt.

Be sure to check back the 15th of each month for more scrappy news.


No comments: