Thursday, November 21, 2019

Sunday Sewday

This was my Sunday Sewday. Using a 4" Hexagon ruler (with 2" sides) I cut 10 hexagons from fabric and 10 - 4" squares of cotton fusible interfacing. Stitched the two together, made a slit in the interfacing and turned the unit inside out.

I then arranged and fused them into this tree, leaving a small space between each.

When I was ready to layer and quilt, I used metallic thread and quilted across each hexagon, stitching in the ditch between on my way to the next hexagon. I kept doing that until each hexagon had been criss-crossed three times and there was quilting between each hexagon and around the outer edge.

Then I did a straight line echo of the tree to machine quilt the background. I used my small ruler and chalk o liner to mark 1 1/2" spaces, marking as I went.

This was a very fun project with lots of diversity. Possible design layouts for the hexies are endless and, no raw edges so no machine applique required.

I made and quilted this whole runner in about 2 hours. Fun!

No comments: