Sunday, January 26, 2020

Snowday Sewdays!

I had the good fortune of being snowed in at a quilt retreat center during the recent Iowa blizzard. It was the most productive blizzard ever!

Those of you that came to our Fall Ladies of the Lake Retreat will recognize these blocks. These are some of the blocks made in our relay for charity game.
 I was able to put together 5 of these quilt tops. using the blocks we made at retreat. They will be donated to Warrior Wagons after a little machine quilting help from Deb Semmens and binding help from Nikki Whitney.  (I just noticed there are two of the same blocks in the top row - geez)

I also made a simple T-Shirt quilt for my grandkids school auction. This was one of those turn-it-around quickly projects so nothing fancy.

Then I finished up this Elizabeth Hartman Unicorn that I had started about a year ago. I attempted to use ombre fabric for the background and piece it to retain some of the ombre effect.


To round out my projects, I put binding on a small quilt, pieced a quilt back and I pieced a sample of our 2020 Strip Club quilt - - -  but you need to come to our Feb 15 Fresh Beginnings Party reveal to see it!

Friend Vickie was also knocking out the projects. This is her Rail Fence coming to life on the design wall - - - 

and a beautiful top she finished up for her granddaughter.

This is the Half-Hexie quilt Vickie pieced over the weekend.
Below is a scrap quilt she also started and finished using 2 1/2"
x 4 1/2" rectangles. None of her quilts were large pieces so, truly amazing accomplishments.

Under Sue's guidance, Vickie made this table topper one afternoon while I was taking a nap. 
Friend Sue was also no slacker. She pieced this very large T-Shirt quilt from her son's baseball shirts.
And she made this Half-Hexie quilt featuring ISU fabrics.

I didn't snag a picture of it but Sue also made a quilt top for Warrior Wagons featuring the What Cancer Cannot Do panel in bright childrens prints.

And Sue was churning out stars for a large quilt project. 
While all of the sewing machines were purring around her, Sue's sister, Joan, worked steadily on a color by number painting. It's important to note here that the blue paint smear was dried on the table before we arrived. :) :) 

The retreat center was in Elkhorn, IA at Log Cabin Quilting. I recommend it for any small group looking for a weekend getaway but plan ahead. They are booked for every weekend in 2020.

There are many lovely quilt samples on display through-out the quilt shop that houses the retreat center. This quilt, a close up from the photo above, really caught my eye. It is a collage quilt made by owner, Robin.

No comments: