Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Sunday Sewday

Sunday, I finished up this little quilt top. If you recall, a couple days ago I posted this as a pieced top with a white background. 


It bothered me a little that, while I like white and aqua, the gal I am giving this to is more partial to earth tones and teal so, before I machine quilted it, I gave it a little bath in a pot of hot brewed black tea.  That did a great job of taking the bright white out of it.

If you zoom in, you can see this background fabric is now a creamy light tan.  Much better. The tea staining turned all of the colored pieces a little darker as well. Just what it needed.


  1. Steep 4 bags of black tea in 4 C of boiling water for 5 minutes.
  2. Completely wet the quilt top in clean water.
  3. Remove the tea bags and dip the wet quilt top in the brew.
  4. Stir it around a bit and remove when at the required shade of darkness. It only takes a few seconds.
  5. Rinse in clear water. Some of the color will rinse out
Tip: Best to remove from brew before it gets too dark. You can always put the quilt top back in the brew if you decide later it's not dark enough.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’m interested in this class. Can I be put on a waiting list.

Adel Quilting said...

I have a curved piecing class waiting list but it is not for this quilt. This one uses a different piecing technique. The class I am teaching is for the pattern State Fair by Jen Kingwell. Maybe you can google it? If you would like to be on the waiting list for State Fair, please send your name to me at adel.quilting@gmail.com. Since you signed on here as anonymous, I do not have your name. Thanks! - Jacque