Sunday, December 4, 2022

Mirror project

 You may remember this mirror. It hung in the shop bathroom.  It is big and heavy.  It sits here on the backbar cabinet you may also recognize from the shop. Those drawers use to hold block of the month kits. Now these former shop pieces are part of my bedroom set.


This mirror was kind of a grey-white before and did not go with the bedroom furniture so I painted it. This was another of my trial and error adventures! I had a few re-dos but in the end it worked out.

After the first coat of cream was too shiny, I tried a crackle method. First I streaked on this color to peak through the cracks. Then added a layer of crackle medium followed by a coat of cream chalk paint (not the kind you can write on with chalk).

Chalk paint is very absorbent so I sealed it with two coats of clear wax. It still did not look antique enough so I added a coat of brown antique wax. You dab it on and then rub off with a wet cloth, leaving as much or as little as you want.

No comments: